10 Inspirational Quotes That Will Motivate You: Black History Month Edition
Sometimes we have to reach back to those who came before to give us the push we need to realize our dreams, ambitions, and goals. Here are 10 inspirational Black History month quotes to motivate you.
1. “Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them.” – Madam C.J. Walker
Madam C.J. Walker was no stranger to creating her own opportunities. Walker was an entrepreneur who created products for black women’s hair, which catapulted her into becoming the first black female millionaire.
2. “If you want to do something then be the best.” – Garrett Morgan
Paving the way for future African American inventors, a man by the name of Garrett Morgan would patent inventions for the improvements of the sewing machine, traffic signals, breathing masks, and ultimately play a significant role in the African American hair care. In all of his pursuits, he strove to be the best. In life, when we decide to set out to do something, we have to make sure to try our best.
3. “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.” – James Baldwin
James Baldwin was a civil rights activist and a literary mastermind. This quote solidifies his understanding that although there are some things we can’t change, we still have to face all things and change what we can.
4. “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence.” – Frederick Douglas
Frederick Douglas escaped from slavery and became an activist and public speaker. His need to be himself and not conform propelled him into a world of self acceptance.
5. “It is the mind that makes the body.” – Sojourner Truth
An abolitionist and women’s rights activist born into slavery, Truth knew that everything starts in the mind first. When we are on journeys of self-improvement, we have to work everyday to work on our mindset to get us closer to our goals.
6. “A dream deferred is a dream denied.” – Langston Hughes
A prolific writer, activist, and center of the Harlem Renaissance, Langston Hughes explains how it feels when we delay our dreams, goals, and ambitions. When we defer our dreams, most of the time those dreams are never realized. If we want to live a life of our wildest dreams, we have to try our best to not delay.
7. “Don’t do nothing halfway, else you find yourself dropping more than can be picked up.” – Louis Armstrong
One of the most influential musicians to ever live, Louis Armstrong never went halfway with his musical talents. When we set a goal and we pursue it halfway, we will get lackluster results. This causes us to scramble and pick up all the balls we dropped.
8. “If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else.” – Booker T. Washington
Born into slavery, Booker T. Washington would go on to become an educator, speaker, writer, and political advisor. His ability to lift up the community through educating is a testament to his stance on giving back. When we are in a position to lift someone else, we should always do just that.
9. “Life is not a spectator sport. If you’re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you’re wasting your life.” Jackie Robinson
The first African American to play Major League Baseball, Jackie Robinson understood that he didn’t just want to be a spectator. Robinson’s quote is even more relevant today in our generation of reality TV and lifestyle bloggers. Those two things are great, but sometimes we can get caught up in watching and not living our own lives.
10. “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.” Shirley Chisholm
Shirley Chisholm was the first black woman to be elected to congress. At the time, there were very few places at the table for African Americans in government, so she brought her folding chair and created a place at the table. She knew that in life, there are situations that seem impossible, but we have the power inside of us to make change. Take out that folding chair and place it wherever you see yourself.
What is your favorite quote? Comment below.
#growthmindset #SojournerTruth #ShirleyChisholm #madamcjwalker #LouisArmstrong #garrettmorgan #LangstonHughes #ygwrites #BookerTWashington #FrederickDouglas #inspirationalquotes #selfhelp #motivationalquotes #JamesBaldwin #ygwritescom #JackieRobinson